ABOUT ALLIANCE COLLEGE-READY PUBLIC SCHOOLS FOUNDATION
The Alliance College-Ready Public Schools Foundation (Alliance Foundation) is dedicated to strengthening the community support and investment that has lifted Alliance College-Ready Public Schools (Alliance) since its inception. The Alliance Foundation raises resources and visibility for the Alliance network of schools, advocates for policies that improve quality public education for historically underserved youth, and builds partnerships to strengthen Alliance schools and the communities that Alliance serves. We believe in the unlimited potential of our scholars and work to shine a bright light on what is possible for all public schools.
Incorporated in 2019, the Alliance Foundation builds on the strong legacy of active and engaged civic leaders who are committed to educational justice and who believe in the brilliant promise of Alliance scholars and schools. In joining the Alliance Foundation, you will join a collaborative community to make long-lasting change across Los Angeles.
ABOUT ALLIANCE COLLEGE-READY PUBLIC SCHOOLS
Alliance College-Ready Public Schools (Alliance) was founded on the belief that all young people, regardless of zip code, are capable of achieving at high levels. Alliance is now one of the largest and most successful public charter school networks in the nation, operating 26 high-performing middle and high schools serving 13,000 scholars in systematically oppressed communities across Los Angeles.
Now in its 19th school year, Alliance has a proven record of success. Despite the average scholar arriving at Alliance schools four grade levels behind in reading, 97% of Alliance graduates have been accepted to college, including 85% to a four-year college or university in 2023. Alliance strives to change the trajectories of our scholars and communities, with a goal of 75% of Alliance graduates completing a four-year college degree.
The Director of Institutional Giving is responsible for sustaining and growing the portfolio of Foundation and Corporate supporters to the Alliance Foundation. The Director reports to and works in partnership with the Vice President of Development. The Director is a leader within the Foundation and works as part of a diverse, dynamic, and growth-oriented team to raise critical resources to support Alliance College-Ready Public Schools’ scholars and school communities. The Director is also a member of the Alliance Home Office staff, participating in regular monthly meetings and celebrations throughout the year. This is a hybrid role with the majority of work done from home, with occasional travel throughout LA to visit Alliance schools, attend team meetings, and support Foundation events.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
Strategic Leadership and Fundraising
- Lead and drive the overall strategy, planning, and execution for the Institutional Giving portfolio, including developing strategies to grow Foundation and Corporate dollars and numbers of donors.
- Manage a personal portfolio of Foundation and Corporate donors with an FY24 revenue goal of $2.5M.
- Identify, qualify/research, cultivate, solicit, and steward Foundation and Corporate donors and serve as the Alliance Foundation’s key external representative (or as one representative in partnership with other internal leaders).
- Develop and maintain relationships with funding institutions, program officers, and collaborating organizations, by scheduling introductory/exploratory meetings and site visits, and engaging them through Alliance annual programming.
- Research public funding opportunities, share with Alliance Network, and potentially oversee contracted grant writers in these efforts.
- Stay informed and educate colleagues about current policies, practices, and trends related to education and Alliance.
- Other duties as assigned by the Vice President of Development and Executive Director.
- Lead grant writing and reporting for the Foundation and Corporate portfolio and occasional donors outside of the portfolio, including preparing LOIs, concept papers, proposals, budgets, and reports that are tailored to each funder based on their priorities and requirements.
- Ensure compliance for all grants, including facilitation of program officer calls, audits, monitoring or site visits, and meeting regulatory requirements.
- Communicate with various departments at Alliance to maintain familiarity with programmatic and budgetary activities for reporting and for developing funding proposals.
- In partnership with the Executive Director, supervise the Manager of Communications and Development to maintain up-to-date information on funder communications, deadlines, reporting requirements, and grants tracking (20% of the Manager’s full-time effort).
Team Collaboration and Functioning
- Participate/contribute to strategic projects in collaboration with the Executive Director and VP of Development to support and execute the Foundation’s organizational priorities – i.e. fundraising or cultivation events, End of Year mailing, Alliance Foundation team meetings, etc.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATES WILL HAVE
- Ability to effectively strategize and work with various levels within the Alliance, as well as with external groups and constituents.
- Experience and comfort with securing major gifts from institutional donors.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Ability to communicate Alliance mission and activities clearly and in a compelling manner to diverse audiences through e-mail correspondence, LOI, proposals, reports, presentations, etc.
- Strong organizational and project management skills, with attention to detail and the ability to efficiently manage multiple projects and deadlines.
- Ability to lead and work well with diverse Alliance stakeholders.
- Commitment to Alliance mission and shared understanding of Alliance’s commitment to being an anti-racist and pro-Black organization.
- Bachelor’s Degree is required; Master’s Degree is a plus.
- Minimum of 6 years of experience in successful grant writing, grants management, or non-profit development with progressive management and leadership experience.
- Track record of securing six and seven-figure contributions.
- Proficiency in Google Office Suite; Raiser’s Edge, Salesforce, or comparable constituent/donor management system
- Occasional travel throughout Los Angeles is required; a valid driver’s license and automobile available for use.
- This is a hybrid position (mostly remote, with a need to occasionally be on-site) and must be based out of the greater Los Angeles, California area.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
In alignment with our commitment to equity for our scholars, Alliance Foundation is committed to equity and transparency for our team and offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience as well as generous retirement and health benefits. This position is exempt.
- Compensation: Alliance Foundation provides a competitive salary. Based on relevant prior work experience, our salary range for this role is $100,000 to $140,000.
- Health Insurance: Medical, dental, and vision plan options that are covered at 100% of monthly premiums for individual employees and partial coverage for spouses and families.
- Retirement: Alliance Foundation employees are eligible for a 401k retirement plan, with an annual employer contribution equal to 6% of regular earnings, plus an additional 1% match.
- Paid Leave: Paid time off benefits that include an annual accrual of 15 days vacation and 10 sick days, in addition to 19 paid holidays, including paid time off between Christmas and New Year’s Day.
- Professional Development: At Alliance, we believe in supporting staff growth and development. Alliance Foundation staff are allocated $750 per year for professional development expenses.
Please apply at https://strongerconsulting.com/opportunities/.
The Alliance Foundation does not discriminate against any scholar, parent, community member, or employee on the basis of actual or perceived ancestry, age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, nationality, race or ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or association with a person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics.