ABOUT ALLIANCE COLLEGE-READY PUBLIC SCHOOLS FOUNDATION
The Alliance College-Ready Public Schools Foundation (Alliance Foundation) is dedicated to raising resources and visibility for the Alliance network of schools, advocating for policies that improve quality public education for historically underserved youth, and building partnerships to strengthen Alliance schools and the communities that Alliance serves. We believe in the unlimited potential of our scholars and work to shine a bright light on what is possible for all public schools.
Incorporated in 2019, the Alliance Foundation builds on the strong legacy of active and engaged civic leaders who are committed to educational justice and who believe in the brilliant promise of Alliance scholars and schools. In joining the Alliance Foundation, you will join a collaborative community to make long-lasting change across Los Angeles.
ABOUT ALLIANCE COLLEGE-READY PUBLIC SCHOOLS
Alliance College-Ready Public Schools (Alliance) was founded on the belief that all young people, regardless of zip code, are capable of achieving at high levels. Alliance is now one of the largest and most successful public charter school networks in the nation, operating 26 high-performing middle and high schools serving 13,000 scholars in systemically-oppressed communities across Los Angeles.
Now in its 18th school year, Alliance has a proven record of success: though scholars come to Alliance on average four grade levels behind in reading, 96% of Alliance graduates have been accepted to college, including 84% to a four-year university in 2022. Alliance strives to change the trajectories of our scholars and communities, with a goal of 75% of Alliance graduates completing a four-year college degree.
The Vice President of Development is responsible for sustaining and expanding Individual, Foundation, and Corporate philanthropic support to the Alliance Foundation and leading the four-person development department that raises $7.5M annually in private revenue for the organization. The Vice President co-leads fundraising strategy, planning, and execution for The Alliance Foundation, in partnership with the Executive Director. The Vice President sustains and grows a sizable, existing portfolio of major gift donors and identifies new major gift prospects and cultivates those relationships. The Vice President leads a diverse, dynamic, and growth-oriented development team to raise critical revenue to support Alliance scholars and schools.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
Strategic Leadership and Fundraising
- Lead fundraising strategy, planning, and execution, in partnership with the Executive Director, to identify, engage, cultivate, diversify, and increase donors to the Alliance Foundation.
- Manage a personal portfolio of major gift donors ($10K+) with an FY23 revenue goal of $1.6 million.
- Create the case for support to The Alliance Foundation and from that help shape compelling campaigns, proposals, and pitches for philanthropic support.
- Lead regular analysis of fundraising efforts to inform strategy and direction, and coordinate data reporting on fundraising efforts in partnership with the Development Associate.
- Help plan and execute team meetings, stepbacks, and retreats, both preparing and facilitating learning sessions and helping to foster and build team culture through regular rituals and activities.
- Maintain current knowledge of important development trends in the regional and national fundraising landscapes relating to fundraising for Alliance scholars and schools.
- Represent the Alliance Foundation at external meetings and events.
- Serve as the staff lead to the Board Development Committee to drive board involvement in fundraising.
- Regularly present and share updates to the Board of Trustees at quarterly meetings, committee meetings, and in small groups and individual conversations.
- Attend, and support the content creation and follow-up for, general Board of Trustees meetings, as well as for Nominating Committee meetings.
- Identify and cultivate relationships with major donors who are potential Board of Trustees members.
- Support the Director of Events and Donor Engagement in leading the work of the Scholar Success Board (SSB), and advise on strategy, planning, and execution of SSB meetings, activities, and events which are geared to raising college scholarship funds and recruiting volunteers to support activities in Alliance schools.
- Serve as a liaison to Alliance Governing Board members on fundraising matters.
- Manage an overall team of four development professionals, including two direct reports, to raise funds and visibility for The Alliance Foundation.
- Manage the Director of Events and Donor Engagement to increase donor participation in the Annual Fund, enhance the work of the Scholar Success Board (SSB), and execute annual fundraising events, including the Heroes Among Us celebration which raises $1.2M annually, and developing compelling opportunities for volunteerism and engagement. Coach and develop the Director of Events and Donor Engagement in managing the Development Associate. As needed, support the Director’s management of the Salesforce collaborative team, including the Development Associate and Salesforce consultant, to ensure excellent fundraising strategy, donor relations, and progress-to-goals tracking using the Salesforce fundraising database.
- Manage the Director of Development and Communications to increase support from institutional donors (Foundations and Corporations), and shape high-quality communications and marketing activities to raise the Alliance Foundation’s visibility and brand awareness. Coach and develop the Director of Development and Communications in managing the Manager of Development and Communications.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATES WILL HAVE
- Ability to work with the most senior levels of an organization and the ability to effectively strategize and engage various groups and constituents.
- Experience and comfort with securing major gifts from individual donors.
- Experience in nurturing and motivating volunteers, particularly board members, and an appreciation for their role in building an effective fundraising network.
- Ability to inspire and motivate a team to achieve fundraising goals.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Ability to communicate Alliance mission and activities clearly and in a compelling manner to diverse audiences.
- Proven ability in strategic planning, critical thinking, problem-solving, and change management.
- Entrepreneurial disposition and track record of building new programming, operations, and procedures to sustain the work.
- Strong organizational and project management skills, with the ability to efficiently manage multiple projects and deadlines.
- Ability to lead and work well with diverse Alliance stakeholders.
- Commitment to Alliance mission.
- Bachelor’s Degree; Master’s Degree preferred.
- 6-8 years of experience in non-profit development with progressive management and leadership experience.
- Track record of securing six and seven-figure contributions.
- Proven track record leading successful teams and campaigns to set and achieve ambitious fundraising goals and grow the donor base.
- Proficiency in Google Office Suite; Raiser’s Edge, Salesforce, or comparable constituent/donor management system; social media platforms; preferred experience with online marketing and giving platforms.
- This is a hybrid position (mostly remote, with a need to occasionally be on-site) and must be based out of the greater Los Angeles, California area.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
The Alliance Foundation is committed to being an environment where employees find meaning and joy in their work every day, within a culture of collaboration, support, and excellence. The Alliance Foundation is proud to offer the following compensation and benefits to employees:
- Salary range is $125,660 – $164,800, and commensurate with experience.
- A comprehensive group health benefits package, including medical, dental, and vision coverage.
- An 401k retirement plan, with an annual employer contribution equal to 6% of regular earnings.
- Paid time off benefits that include an annual accrual of 15 days of vacation and 10 sick days, in addition to 11 paid holidays, and paid time off between Christmas and New Year’s Day.
Candidates can apply here.
**Only candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.
PLEASE NOTE: The Alliance College-Ready Public Schools Foundation requires that all team members be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 for the safety of Alliance scholars, families, staff, and supporters. Team members may apply to seek a medical exemption. Regardless of your current vaccination status, our team can advise you on how to fulfill this important requirement so that you can start the position in a timely way.
The Alliance Foundation does not discriminate against any scholar, parent, community member, or employee on the basis of actual or perceived ancestry, age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, nationality, race or ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or association with a person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics.