ABOUT ALLIANCE COLLEGE-READY PUBLIC SCHOOLS FOUNDATION
The Alliance College-Ready Public Schools Foundation (Alliance Foundation) is dedicated to strengthening the community support and investment that has lifted Alliance College-Ready Public Schools (Alliance) since its inception. The Alliance Foundation raises awareness, enhances resources, and fosters advocacy and partnerships for Alliance scholars and schools. We share best practices with the larger education community and policy-makers to boost our schools and shine a bright light on what is possible for all public schools.
Incorporated in 2019, the Alliance Foundation builds on the strong legacy of active and engaged civic leaders who are committed to educational justice and who believe in the brilliant promise of Alliance scholars and schools. In joining the Alliance Foundation, you will join a collaborative community to make long-lasting change across Los Angeles.
ABOUT ALLIANCE COLLEGE-READY PUBLIC SCHOOLS
Alliance College-Ready Public Schools (Alliance) was founded on the belief that all young people, regardless of zip code, are capable of achieving at high levels. Alliance is now one of the largest and most successful public charter school networks in the nation, operating 25 high-performing middle and high schools serving 13,000 scholars in systemically-oppressed communities across Los Angeles.
Now in its 16th school year, Alliance has a proven record of success: though scholars come to Alliance on average four grade-levels behind in reading, 95% of Alliance graduates have been accepted to college, including 73% to a four-year university in 2018. Alliance strives to change the trajectories of our scholars and communities, with a goal of 75% of Alliance graduates completing a four-year college degree.
The Manager of Development and Communications is a new role at The Alliance Foundation. Through exemplary grant writing, communications and marketing writing, as well as strategic thinking and project management, the Manager will be responsible for helping to grow the Foundation and Corporate grant portfolio and increasing The Alliance Foundation’s visibility and brand awareness.
Reporting to the Director of Development and Communications, the Manager of Development and Communications will serve as a writer and content developer for Foundation and Corporate grant proposals and reports, and support the foundation’s new marketing function, writing marketing and donor communications pieces, including the Annual Report, fundraising appeals and direct marketing pieces, speeches and talking points, as well as managing the editorial calendar and brand assets.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
Foundation and Corporate Relations (50%)
- Draft foundation and corporate grant proposals and reports, including budgets and support materials.
- Manage a small fundraising portfolio for a subset of foundation and corporate relationships.
- Prospect research and recommendations for new potential Foundation and Corporate partnerships.
- Manage the Salesforce database for Foundation and Corporate grant prospects and donors.
- Maintain the grants calendar and help ensure timely submission of proposals and reports for Foundation and Corporate partners.
Marketing and Communications (50%)
- Writing and Content Development
- Take a leading role in the creation and writing of pithy marketing content tailored to a variety of media and audiences: donors and prospects, external partners, and press.
- Interview stakeholders to create compelling content, including complex, multi-page reports.
- Based on the purpose of marketing content, recommend the best vehicles to share content with audiences (e.g. infographics, video, presentation).
- Content Delivery
- Maintain The Alliance Foundation website, working with an outside consultant when needed.
- Design and send regular email communications to donors.
- Manage and create The Alliance Foundation communications templates.
- Manage the writing and production of the Annual Report.
- Team Collaboration and Planning
- Create and maintain an Editorial Calendar that takes into account major milestone events and key organizational priorities.
- Ensure maintenance and use of Alliance Foundation brand standards.
- Maintain analysis of effectiveness of communications vehicles and make recommendations for changes and improvements.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATES WILL HAVE
- Exemplary and persuasive written and oral communications skills
- Demonstrated understanding of audience insights and needs to inform and develop compelling communications
- Basic understanding of fundraising, marketing, and communications principles
- Experience in drafting grant proposals and reports strongly preferred
- Strong organizational and project management skills with the ability to juggle competing priorities
- Entrepreneurial spirit and ability to thrive in a fast-paced and achievement-oriented environment
- Discretion, diplomacy, and ability to work with a broad range of diverse internal and external stakeholders
- Commitment to Alliance’s core beliefs and educational philosophy
- Motivation to work with a team deeply committed to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) and to becoming an anti-racist, pro-Black organization
- Commitment and willingness to learn and grow
- Knowledge of urban school environments and educational policies a strong plus
- Willingness to go above and beyond to contribute to the success of a dynamic team committed to a new future for urban education
- Highly-proficient in Google Applications (Google Mail, Drive Docs, Sheets, Slides, Forms) and the ability to navigate new software platforms
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, preferably in journalism, English, history, marketing and communications, or another field with a strong writing orientation.
- A minimum of three (3) years experience in grant writing (and/or marketing content writing and development for nonprofits/fundraising/sales) and project management, preferably in an educational setting.
- Travel across Los Angeles is required; valid driver’s license and automobile available for daily use.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
The Alliance Foundation is committed to being an environment where employees find meaning and joy in their work every day, within a culture of collaboration, support, and excellence. The Alliance Foundation is proud to offer the following benefits to employees:
- Competitive salaries commensurate with experience.
- A comprehensive group health benefits package, including medical, dental, and vision coverage.
- An 401k retirement plan, with an annual employer contribution equal to 5% of regular earnings.
- Paid time off benefits that include an annual accrual of 15 days vacation and 10 sick days, in addition to 11 paid holidays and paid time off between Christmas and New Year’s Day.
This position is Exempt. The salary range for this position is $67,000 – $93,000. Like all positions at The Alliance Foundation, this position will be based at a home / remote office.
Interested candidates can apply by submitting their resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that only candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted beginning the week of July 12, 2021.
The Alliance Foundation does not discriminate against any scholar, parent, community member, or employee on the basis of actual or perceived ancestry, age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, nationality, race or ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or association with a person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics.